The Research Proposal should be a clear and concise presentation of the applicant's proposed research.
The Proposal must include:
Provide an abstract of no more than 325 words outlining the applicant's proposed research.
Provide a description that is single-spaced (using 11 point Arial font) and limited to 5 pages total. Research Proposals with over 5 pages will not be accepted. Please add your bibliography to your proposal but do not include those pages in the 5-page limitation.
The proposal must include:
- Title of the proposed research
- Description of research objectives, including relevant literature, specific aims, study design, methodology, data, and projected results
- Discussion of the relevance of the proposed research to the objectives of the program (see the Scientific Focus section of this website)
- Description of analytical methods (figures and tables should be included in the body of the text, where applicable)
- Description of potential research challenges and possible approaches for overcoming them
- Description of relevant past work by the applicant, including joint collaborations and reference
- The program does not allow for any indirect costs to be provided to the Award Recipient's institution.
- The applicant may allocate up to USD50,000 per year in salary and fringe benefits support for the applicant and/or a technician.
- Salaries and fringe benefits support for mentors, post-doctoral fellows, or students may not be included.
- Supplies such as disposables, chemicals, reagent kits, animals, etc, may be included.
- Equipment purchases with a single item value of greater than USD2,500 may not be included.
- Up to USD1,500 per year for applicant's travel to a scientific meeting for presentation of data may be included.
If the research project includes investigations on human subjects, a copy of the submission to the institutional review board (IRB) must be submitted prior to award.
If the research project involves laboratory animals, researcher must certify that he/she will comply with all laws and regulations pertaining to care and use of animals in research prior to award.